...are new every morning. Truth!
Today, I whooped my nemesis Technology. Figured out how to reset my iPad and then proceeded to sweat it out on the treadmill for a while. An early start to a brand new day and I was winning!!
The kids and I visited our local fire department to support them in their annual pancake breakfast. Danny always loved attending this event and supporting his local guys. Volunteer firefighting was where he got his start in helping others. His daddy had been on the fire department and he remembered going to meetings at a young age with him. Leonard died of brain cancer just a few days short of Danny's 8th birthday. Following in his dad's footsteps was something he'd always dreamed of doing. I suppose in a way it made him feel closer to his dad.
I managed to wrangle 3 children and 3 plates of food to the table without any disasters. I have some of the best kids. They got many compliments on how well behaved they were. We only received a few sympathetic stares from those who knew that it was awkward for us as Danny wasn't with us.
From there we participated in our hospital's Easter egg hunt and then headed to Morning Sun to have a picnic with a very dear family. Mike was a childhood friend of Danny's and was closer than a brother to Danny as his cancer progressed. Religiously, Mike came to see Danny every Sunday after church. Danny looked forward to it but so did the kids and I. If ever there was a Sunday that Mike missed our entire week was off on the wrong foot. Mike has an angel of a wife Sherrie who has been a godsend and a good natured son who allows the boys to wrestle on him. We walked in to their house, Mike came and gave me a hug and said "how you doing besides being overwhelmed?" That guy....without me even saying it knew exactly how I'd been feeling this week. Sherrie and I spent time talking about loss and dealing with grief as well as she'd recently lost a dear soul unexpectedly. We had the best afternoon, being outside, just enjoying time supporting each other as we're all learning how to find life again after losing Danny. I am so thankful that we have adopted family like them.

No comments:
Post a Comment