Two instances recently that my kids have made for awkward moments with others. Recently, I blogged about the openness we share in this house in making comments or asking questions where Daddy is concerned. I love that atmosphere we've created despite the times that it's an uncomfortable conversation. I wouldn't change it for a minute. The challenge sometimes is that they're not able to filter whom it's appropriate to be open with and whom they should dial it back with. Thus some adults get left in a tough spot on occasion.
The first was just this last weekend when we went on a maiden voyage with our new camper. Spontaneously, my brother and his family as well as my parents were able to join us. It made for a great weekend of family memories despite the cooler temps. Because it was so cool we went through plenty of firewood. There was a time that Aidan opted to ride with Andrew and Kara as they went to get more wood. We've had a camping trip planned for some time over Father's Day weekend. My intention was that we'd be out of the home and not focused on the fact that our Daddy would be spending his first Father's Day in heaven and not with us. So the kids and I have talked about this being planned but I'd not mentioned the reason behind it to them. I'm not trying to skip over or ignore the holiday. At the same time, I'm not trying to draw attention to it either.
Apparently, while they were in the car the subject matter swung to the upcoming celebration. Aidan very bluntly told them both, "I don't have a dad.". Andrew got quiet as that information sank in while Aunt Kara tried to offer reassurance that Papaw and Uncle Andrew would be there. Aidan wasn't having it and reiterated what he'd just said repeatedly, "but I don't have a dad anymore." Defeated, Kara quieted as well. Neither one of them knew what to say or had the right words. Aidan was right. His dad is gone. What started out as a simple way to make conversation ended up leaving a pretty big impact on two grown adults.
This interaction made for interesting and necessary conversation as we hauled the camper back to our home. I listened to Avery and Aidan's interaction as Aidan started to talk about it. It gave me the opportunity to remind all 3 of the littles that they very much still have a daddy. He's just watching us from heaven now. We also had the opportunity to start discussion on how they would like to celebrate Father's Day this year. They bantered some ideas back and forth before we got home. Obviously, this Father's Day is going to be a little tough on all the kids and I.
Yesterday, there was a contractor here. Things are starting to look up a bit in this house recently. Our sewer is completely fixed now. The concrete just was re-poured in the last few days. I received a quote on some back yard work that needs done. Yesterday they started to install our new furnace and air conditioner, (We've been without a furnace for a good number of weeks now.) And this contractor was here to look at some indoor projects that need more than I can do. These days my kiddos like to be right in the middle of all the action and him being here was no different. Ainsley, in all her cuteness, blurts out to him, "My daddy in heaben." Without missing a beat this sweet guy replied to her, "He is? That lucky guy!" She just simply nodded her head in agreement and said, "yeah!" Conversation over. What she doesn't realize it that that contractor lost a parent at a young age as well.
See what I mean? Steps orchestrated by a bigger power than us.
No comments:
Post a Comment