Monday, June 29, 2015

People talk

You just never know what impact you may have had on someone.
 
Shortly before Danny died I had the opportunity to care for two particular cancer patients that completely touched my heart. Both of them passed just before Danny did. The first was a sweet woman from a world of very little resource. She was being cared for by her significant other. Neither one of them had graduated high school. They didn't quite understand everything that was taking place but they were doing the best that they knew how. Watching them hang on to and care for each other as her disease progressed absolutely broke my heart. I couldn't help but to be drawn to them and want to do whatever I could for them to assist in their journey. Yes, my journey was heartbreaking too. We, however, had a fantastic support team and a peace in knowing it was goodbye for now but not goodbye forever. It was my privilege to offer them whatever support I could.
 
The second was a sweet man who had been very healthy all of his life. He received a horrible diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. He'd never had any pain so he was surprised to learn how sick he was. By the time he was diagnosed it had already spread and his time on earth was going to be very short. More than once I had the opportunity to care for him in the ED. He was a real inspiration for me. Even facing his diagnosis and death, he was full of positivity and thankfulness. He and his wife and I spent one visit crying together as we discussed possible hospice options for them and what my experience had taught me thus far. I sent him home from the ED for the last time knowing very well that his days were numbered. All I could do was pray for him, his wife and his two grown children. And I did.
 
Fast forward to just a few weeks ago. I had the opportunity to care for another patient. Somehow they knew the last patient I just described. His wife had told them about their experiences here in the ED and about the nurse that had cared for them and what a difference it had made. This patient of course relayed the information. I couldn't help but to be very touched at this story. This is exactly why I do what I do. I don't necessarily like having to care for the cancer patient and their family as it still hits very close to home. BUT, there's always a reason for it and for the interaction that takes place. Thank goodness we serve a God who is so much bigger than us. I'm thankful that my steps have been orchestrated.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment