The kids all seemed to do quite well in getting through the weekend. Aidan spent the weekend vomiting, purely a stress reaction in dealing with Danny's birthday. The same thing happened during the visitation and funeral. As an adult, I know I struggle at times to put my emotions in to words. I can't imaging trying to process through grief as a child; let alone trying to express how they feel.
Saturday, the kids all somehow managed to nap at the same time. I opted to put on a suit and float in Jo's pool for a while. She opted to hang out in the living room relaxing. At first I thought certainly she'd come out to join me. That girl just seems to know though. Instead I had an hour to float in solitude. An hour to reflect on all things Danny and the 15 years of memories we had together. An hour to shed tears unseen. An hour to be prayerful. An hour to count my blessings. An hour to dream about the kids and I finding life and a new normal again. That pool and the hour I had in the sunshine was the best therapy in dealing with marking this first.
We enjoyed a birthday cake and blew out candles for daddy after supper. We also made a trip to the cemetery to see where Grandma Nita and Grandpa Leonard are buried. None of the kids or I had seen Grandma Nita's headstone yet. They thought it was pretty special that their names had been engraved on the stone. Then we braved the heat and took in the local rodeo. When we'd had our fill of cowboys, mud, broncs and calves, we headed back to Aunt Jo's for a night cap in the swimming pool. Swimming under the stars was an absolute blast!






No comments:
Post a Comment