In true children fashion, they waited until I was in the shower to decide it was time to ask more questions. This time, it was the eldest and he was concerned he was going to die in surgery. "Mom I think I'm going to die in surgery." While I shampooed my hair we worked on getting to the bottom of Aidan's fear. In his 7 year old mind he reasoned since Daddy died and his daddy died of the same thing it means I'm going to die of it too. We discussed again what cancer is and what surgery is. We talked about how Grandpa Leonard could have gotten it from the line of work he did. Aidan asked how you get cancer. That's a tough one. When I told him he didn't need to worry and that God had us taken care of he said "ok good". I thought the conversation was over and then he hit me with..."but mom? How do you know I won't get it?" Ugh! I didn't have an answer for that one but God and I....we've talked. I truly have no doubt that if one of my children were to go through what I watched my husband go through I would end up in the loony bin. I couldn't do it. So we're praying health over these kids and trusting that God has us covered.
Chase is becoming quite the escape artist, especially when he realizes you're about to leave and are not planning to take him with you. This is all fine and well until you find you and your mother are running about like village idiots chasing a dog about the neighborhood with a fly swatter and a big stick. Funny Eversmeyer! Real funny. This dog has to learn who the alpha is before he gets us both in to big trouble.
After we got Chase tracked down and kenneled we headed to my brother's to celebrate Brekkon's first birthday. As we drove past Olson-Powell, Ainsley said "Daddy in there". I acknowledged her and told her that Daddy was there but now he is in heaven with Jesus. "Daddy went to heaven." "Yes baby he did." "He with Jesus now. He was sick." "Yes baby, daddy was sick but he isn't anymore." "Yup. Jesus tell Daddy - 'You aww-wight'." That girl just melts my heart. She has such a sweet innocence. For being the one who spent the least amount of time with Daddy she sure seems to be the most like him these days.
The birthday party was fun for the kids. For the first time, I noticed I felt like I could interact and laugh a little...like it was okay to smile. Perhaps it was because I didn't know most of the people well and they didn't know me and my life story for the last bit of time. I wasn't 'the widow' or 'the single mom with 3 kids' or 'the one who.....(fill it in)'.
After the party, I had the opportunity to spend the evening with Summer. For Christmas, we got her tickets to see Miranda Lambert. We had 2 hours in the car to chat about state wrestling, school, life, prom, boys and vacations. The concert started at 7:30. RaeLynn and Justin Moore opened for Miranda. I didn't realize how many songs Justin had. I was doing a fine job enjoying the concert until he sang "If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away". It of course, reminded me of Danny. We'd also put it on Danny's slideshow. Throughout the concert I couldn't help but to remember the last time Danny and I had gone to a concert together. It was shortly after Ainsley was born and I was worried that the sound would be too much for Danny's head. We had a beautiful supper sitting outside and enjoyed listening to Reba. (I know she's not a new artist but she had a great show). It was one of the last outings Danny and I were able to have before his disease took over. Miranda came on after Jukebox Mafia and played until 11:00 pm. What a show! We had so much fun and I'm so glad I got to spend that time with Summer. It was 1:30 in the morning before we got home. By the time I hit the pillow, I was feeling very thankful for the events of the day and the opportunity to be surrounded by those who love us.
![]() |
| Definitely worth your time to see if you enjoy country music! |

No comments:
Post a Comment